As many are aware, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. There are several ways to participate in this annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease.
- Create an early detection plan. According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc., when breast cancer is detected early, in the localized stage, the 5-year survival rate is 98%! Early detection is the number one way to fight breast cancer. Perform breast self-exams, and schedule your clinical breast exams and mammograms based on your age and health history.
- Share educational resources, with friend and family. Many organizations like the National Breast Cancer Foundation, and Susan G. Komen foundation offer facts, resources, and forums for recently diagnosed, and their friends and family members.
- There are several walks, marathons, etc., raising money for breast cancer research. Twining is pleased to support the Susan G. Komen foundation, whose mission is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering others, ensuring quality care for all and investing in science to find the cures. For more information about how you can raise money, or to donate visit http://ww5.komen.org/
Did You Know???
In 2014, it is estimated that in the US alone, there will 232,670 new cases of invasive breast cancer, and 40,000 breast cancer deaths among women. According to www.nationalbreastcancer.org
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime
- Breast cancer is the leading cause of death among women
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide